Baby who stopped breathing saved after doctors refrigerated him


Eye-catching NuBike goes with drive levers instead of a chain

Health at home
586 points

How to tell if cheat days are sabotaging your weight loss

Health at home
274 points

Most recent

No es una broma: Café y chocolate, dos grandes aliados contra el Alzheimer

192 points


pensamiento Libre
104 points

El software que está cambiando el mundo del ecommerce

12 points

Un estudio apunta q la vitamina D podría reducir la inflamación y beneficiosa contra COVID-19 grave

188 points

El virólogo Luis Enjuanes pide que la Seguridad Social no cubra el tratamiento a los no vacunados

10 points


pensamiento Libre
60 points

La edad de la razón

El diario de Enrique
8 points

¡Qué bello es vivir! - Una mañana en mi SPA favorito

El diario de Enrique
6 points

¿Debo llevar un control horario en el teletrabajo?

14 points

Si le han recetado aspirina para prevenir estas dolencias ¡cuidado!

228 points
Six-month-old Simon Meanwell was born healthy at Peterborough Hospital but stopped breathing suddenly Simon’s dad told Mirror News.

Baby who stopped breathing saved after doctors refrigerated him

“He was absolutely fine when he was born but then he stopped breathing,” James said.

Quick-thinking paramedics

Doctors then rushed the little boy, from Lincolnshire, England, to a special neonatal clinic in an attempt to save his life.

While in the ambulance, quick-thinking paramedics wrapped Simon in a 4-degree cooling blanket that helped lower his temperature – the equivalent of being refrigerated, Daily Mail reports.

“The vehicle is basically an NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) in the back of an ambulance.

“As soon as they resuscitated him they started what they call a cooling process, which lasts for 72 hours,” the dad said.

New treatment

The relatively new treatment was designed to cool the body temperature of babies down to prevent them from having seizures and developing a disability, reports Eastern Daily Press.

The newborn had to remain in hospital for a further two weeks before he was allowed to go home with his doting parents.

“He has a ridiculous number of medical appointments; it works out to around one every three days including nurses coming to see him at home and things.

“He's doing very well though, but we don't know what will happen, it all depends on how he develops,” James said.

James and his wife Helen Meanwell are now speaking out about their son’s traumatic ordeal to raise funds for the facility and team of doctors who saved Simon’s life.

“We’re in no doubt that had a special paediatric ambulance not been available as promptly as it was, Simon's future would be looking very different to what it does now.”

By: Robyn Lucas

To comment you must log in with your account or sign up!
Featured content